Solely creating a bunch of paintings at home, is not going to lead to a successful art career.
Wait, let's look at that word for a second. "Success" This word means something different for each person. In general terms, if you are spending time doing what you love then that is the ultimate happiness.
Isn't happiness the one thing that people strive to obtain. Is this achievment alone enough to be considered a success? I think so.
Being able to paint and share my art with others is success. I have what I want most. The rest is icing on the cake. I am perfectly happy with eating cake without icing. I do like how pretty icing can be. That dream icing is going to take a lot of work and take me away from the easel. I'm ok with that for now.
So what is it going to take to get that dream icing? Well, there is not a secret formula; no "one size fits all" plan.
In general terms, an artist needs to get themselves and their work out there.
75% of the time needs to be dedicated to building the brand and marketing
- research and education
There is a huge learning curve and lots of work to be done at the beginning. The majority of the work is in building the brand. I found that it was easiest just to focus on the marketing aspect and not paint for large chunks of time, like 6 week stretches.
Now that I've got the ball rolling, the goal is to paint 25% of the time and market my brand the other 75%.